PowerGuard® cables are intended for use in wet or dry locations for distribution of single or three phase medium-voltage power. These cables may be installed in ducts or direct buried.
Single conductor cable with filled strand aluminum conductors, triple extruded dry cured insulation system consisting of a thermosetting semiconducting conductor shield, high dielectric strength PowerGuard®
TRXLPE insulation, thermosetting semiconducting insulation shield, copper concentric neutral wires, water blocking agents, black encapsulating linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE) jacket.
Designed for 40 years service.Construction
Class B COMPACT concentric stranded aluminum alloy 1350 per ASTM B 231. Stranded conductors are water-blocked with conductor filling compound.Conductor Shield:
Extruded thermosetting semiconducting shield which is free stripping from the conductor and bonded to the insulation.Insulation:
Extruded, Tree-Retardant Cross-linked Polyethylene (TRXLPE) as defined in ANSI/ICEA S-94-649 - 100% insulation level.Insulation Shield:
Extruded thermosetting semiconducting shield with controlled adhesion to the insulation providing the required balance between electrical integrity and ease of stripping.Metallic Shield:
Solid bare copper wires helically applied and uniformly spaced.Water Block:
Water-blocking agents applied over the insulation shield and around the neutral wires to resist longitudinal water penetration. Longitudinal water penetration shall be tested in accordance with the latest edition of ICEA T-34-664 except that the minimum requirements are 15 psig for 1 hour.Jacket:
Black insulating sunlight resistant linear low-density polyethylene encapsulating the neutral wires with three extruded red stripes and NESC lightning bolt symbol.Insulation Temperature Rating
Normal.............................. 90º C
(*Operation at the emergency overload temperature shall not exceed 1500 hours cumulative during the lifetime of the cable. )
Short Circuit..................... 250º CSpecifications
- ASTM B-231
- AEIC CS8
- ICEA S-94-649
- ICEA T-31-610
- ICEA T-34-664 as applicable for TRXLPE insulated concentric neutral cable
- UL 1072 MV-90
- CSA Standard C68.5-07 File # 257759 Primary Shielded and Concentric Neutral Cable for Distribution
- Copper Conductors
- Black LLDPE jacket with no stripes
- Multiplex cables
- Diameters are based on ASTM Class B Compact diameters.
- Extruded layer thicknesses, insulation and insulation shield diameters are in accordance with ANSI/ICEA S-94-649 for Concentric Neutral Cables Rated 5-46kV and also meet the requirements of the latest revisions of AEIC CS8. Dimensions and weights not designated as minimum or maximum are nominal values and are subject to manufacturing tolerances.
- Cables buried in flat adjacent configuration with 7.5"" spacing between conductors.
- Ampacity based on earth thermal resistivity of 90 ºC-cm/watt, 90 ºC conductor temperature, 20 ºC earth ambient temperature, 75% load factor and 36"" depth of burial. Values are based on one three-phase circuit, one conductor per phase, with neutral wires bonded at each end.